Home Image Map

Thursday, August 22, 2013

New Appreciation for Kindergarten Teachers!!!

If you would have asked me how the first day of school was today at 1:29 p.m. I would have said, "It was my best first day ever!"
 
Then came 1:30...
 
...and Kindergarten music class.
*Remember I'm teaching 2nd grade and K-2 music this year.
 
I wondered why I didn't have any back-to-school "nightmares" this year. Obviously, it was because I would be living one for 20 minutes today. Ha!
 
You know those dreams where the kids are out of control and won't listen to you...
 
Yep! That was me today in Kindergarten music.
 
All I can say is Kindergarten teachers are amazing!!! I mean, I knew that already, but I didn't really know that (with first-hand experience if you know what I mean).
 
In fact, I'm pretty sure this picture should say "I teach K...What's your super power?"
 
 
I have a new plan for tomorrow and it includes "If You're Happy and You Know It" and "Couch Potato Pokey" which I'm hoping praying will capture the attention of those little 5-year-olds.
 
Nightmare aside, my new bunch of 2nd graders (and even the firsties in music) were great! It was a fun day in my new school...and best of all, when I was so exhausted I just needed to get out of there, I was home in about one minute! ;-)
 
Oh, and if you have advice for dealing with Kinders, I'd love to hear from you!
 


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement...the beginning of the year is like no other tired you can relate with to anyone unless they are a Kindergarten teacher :)
    Elizabeth

    Kickin’ it in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see that! The good news is the little K's are already making progress. :-)

      Crystal

      Teaching Little Miracles

      Delete
  2. Ouch. That's tough. My best suggestions are to keep them moving, give them something to hold if you can, but most of all do have a very consistent, predictable routine.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimberly. They are getting better everyday--thankfully!

      Crystal

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    I'd like to start by saying that your blog looks great!!! My name is Martin and I'm a teacher from Canada. I just started a new website called Resources4teaching where educators can buy and sell lessons and educational resources. We are new and are looking for people to join and put up their materials for sale on our website. We are having an iPad draw for the first 100 Vendors who join and upload at least 1 lesson /resource for sale on our website. There are absolutely no fees to join and you get to keep 70% of the profit. You can visit us at: http://www.resources4teaching.com/blog/

    If you know any other teachers who might be interested in this Website, please forward this to them and if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really a different world in Kinder! Your song ideas will work-just lots of very short, fun activities and you'll be fine! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can say that again! It is getting better, but you just never know what you're getting from day to day. One day we learned about beat and the next I couldn't seem to hold their attention as well. Oh we'll...it is getting better. Small steps I say!

      Crystal

      Delete
  5. Oh, I know those nightmares all too well, so my heart goes out to you having lived one in real life. It will get better! :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy. I've seen improvement already so I'm hopeful we will get where we need to be!

      Crystal

      Delete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.