Home Image Map

Friday, August 2, 2013

Favorite Read Alouds and Calendar Advice

 
We have joined the linky party at The Teacher's Chair.  The topic is Favorite Read Alouds. 
 
I love reading books to the kids.  They all seem to love it as well.  I have a lot of books that I read every year to the kids, but the one that comes to mind that I read every year on the first day is: 
 
David Goes to School By David Shannon
 
 
I use this book to introduce our classroom rules.  The kids think this book is funny and we laugh a lot and talk about why you shouldn't do the things that David does in school.  We also discuss the better choices that David should make in school.
 
After we get done with the book, the students will make a class book of positive choices.  They love the fact that they are making their own class book. 
I found this neat idea at Ready-Set-Read.
 
 
 
Make sure you stop by and share your favorite read alouds. 
 
 

 
 
With school approaching, I have been thinking a lot about my daily schedule.  I am still pondering my calendar time.  I have always done a traditional calendar.  But, I am thinking about doing it on the mimio board this year.  Has anyone done their calendar time on the mimio board?  If so, how do you manage it?  If not, how do you do your calendar time?    Thanks!
 
 
 
 
 

 

5 comments:

  1. I don't have a Mimeo board, but I do have a SMARTboard and my kiddos do their entire calendar time on it. It has 22 slides that include the calendar, weather, money, rounding, ten more/ten less, etc. We do it together every morning first thing. My leader for the day does it while everyone else follows along. The whole thing takes less than 10 minutes when we get the routine down. LOVE it! Email me if you have anymore questions.:)
    Sara
    saraschlick@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing! That sounds great! I'm going to look for a mimeo board one and try it out. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I use David books to talk about rules too. The kids will continue reading them to the end of the year. They're usually falling apart in no time. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the kiddos really seem to like the David books! :-)

      Delete
  3. That's a great book, isn't it?
    I did my calendar one year on my smart board but switched back the next. I thought it was important to have the tactile. Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.