Home Image Map

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Daily 5, Chapter 6 - Writing and Word Work


Work on Writing meets Writing Workshop

My first year teaching 2010-2011 our district had adopted Treasures so I plunged right in and taught the curriculum. I struggled to teach writing, felt like I didn't know how to teach it (and I'm a writer, go figure). Anyway, the summer before 2011-2012 I searched the internet for some answers. I found some forums and blogs of teachers using Treasures who said the writing was too easy.

Too easy?

Ack!

So I found some information on Writing Workshop (thanks Mrs. Meacham) and Kristi and I agreed to give it a try last year.

WOW! What a difference!

It was not us, it was the mini-lessons and giving the kids freedom to choose what they wanted to write. The kids did awesome! I had some firsties writing stories that were 4-5 pages long and my first year I could barely get students to write three sentences!

I plan to stick with the mini-lessons we found last summer and use those as a focus lesson within the day. Writing will also be a required choice for the day because I think it is so important.

Word Work

I realized that even though I have not done D5 before, I have provided some opportunities for Word Work in my choices (things they were allowed to do when their work is finished).

Some of their choices were to practice spelling words on white boards, spell sight words with letter tiles, and stamp spelling words.

I'm on the hunt for a few more options and how I am going to organize them!

At this point in the study, I'm ready to pull it all together and go for it! I think it is going to be great! My kids are going to love it, and I believe it is going to help them grow as readers. I've come a long way since my "skeptic" post, huh? :-)

Thanks to our first grade hostess, Deb...

Fabulously First


Be sure to link up! I can't wait to read all of your great thoughts on this chapter!


Crystal

Go to Chapter SEVEN

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing what little writers can do when we give them the chance. I've certainly learned that during my 18 years of teaching. They can do a whole lot more now than they could way back when, and it's not because they're smarter. It's because I've allowed them to do more. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had great luck with writing workshop! Students can really surprise us with their amazing talents. I am your newest follower. Thanks again for visiting my blog.

    Best wishes ladies,
    Brittany
    Keeping Up With First Grade

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.