Home Image Map

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Wisdom for Wednesday - Do it Well

Hi there! Coming to you from my PTR training today...lunch break. :-)

I thought it would be great to give you a quote from the training, which in my mind applies to teaching and life in general.

Take a look:

Yesterday, the trainer, Jane Seward shared this quote from Linda Darling-Hammond as she discussed the former structure of Kansas state standards being a mile wide and an inch deep. She talked about how we would teach a little bit of something in K, then a little bit of it in 1st, and so on and so forth. Then she discussed that quote and how we need teach something well and deeply at one time... 

I spent the remainder of the day chewing on that and I just love it! For teaching and lifeIt is so much like something I constantly tell my own kids.

"No half-jobs."

Meaning when you clean your room, you do it right. When you fold laundry, you don't wad up the clothes so you can be finished quickly. When you do your homework, you don't rush through to get finished. Take your time and do it right!

For me, the half-jobs came from a study of Colossians 3 years ago. I believe that everything I do should be for the Lord, and I should do it to the best of my ability. 

But this idea of "do it well and deeply" in my teaching has started me thinking...

What concepts in my teaching do I need to teach better? 

Or maybe spend more time teaching it? 

Do my students have a deep understanding of the concept taught? 

If not, what can I do differently? 

Hmmm... I've got some more thinking to do (and hopefully now you do too)! 

Thanks for joining us for:


And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men...

Colossians 3:23

I've got to get back to training. Have a blessed day!



3 comments:

  1. It reminds me of another quote that says something like we squirt at children and they squirt back. There's little substance in that. Great thoughts today.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and adding a bit of wisdom of your own...what a great mental picture your quote gives. Love it!

      Crystal

      Delete
  2. I was trained by Jane too for PTR. Are you doing PTR 1 or 2? A couple teachers from my school are at the PTR 2 training this week.
    Good luck with the rest of it!
    :) Sarah from Mrs. Jones Teaches

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.