Home Image Map

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Telling Time Blues and Cures!!

I always get very excited when I teach the kids to tell time because we start with the hour and they get it with no problem.  Later on in the year, we introduce time to the half hour and there is just something about that half hour that throws the kiddos for a loop. For some reason after teaching the half hour, they seem to forget how to tell time to the hour.  I think it has something to do with now the hour hand moves to the middle of the numbers and now we have to count by 5's with the minute hand.   
 
Well, this year it happened again and I found some things that I tried this year that seemed to really help the kids with it.  By the end of the week, I can say that the majority of the kids had telling time to the hour and half hour down and were excited because they could do it without any problems. 
 
Here are some of the things that I used to help them with the telling time this year:
 
1.  This was a really cool idea to help the kids remember the difference between the short hand and long hand.  I found it on teachertipster.com:
 
 
I then added to this and told the kids that the ladies liked to count by 1's and would stop at 12 because they counted a shorter amount of time then the men.  We then talked about how the men would count for a longer amount of time and they loved to count by 5's only. 
 
2.  I found this cool game board over at First Grade Fanatic.  I just changed it a little bit so on the game board it had time to the hour and half hour.  When the kids finished his/her page, then they went and got the game board and the data sheet that went along with it.  They loved this game and it was great practice for them.
 

 
3.  Finally, we played our TPT I have, Who has Telling Time to the hour and 1/2 hour to practice some more. 
 
 
Using all of these resources really seemed to help the kids more this year with telling time to the hour and half hour.  YAY!
 
Have a great weekend!
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.