Home Image Map

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Lice Advice and Dr. Seuss Activities

Well, let's talk the important stuff first...a little lice advice.
 
For the last two weeks, I have feared that I might catch those little critters (as it has been passed around my kiddos). I mean...I have been having people check my head almost daily. My husband insists he doesn't know what he is looking for, but "look you must" I say! I have a hair appointment scheduled for today so I was really nervous about walking in and being embarrassed as she says a nice version of "Get out!"
 
I finally saw a hair dresser friend last night and asked her to check me to be sure. She said I was probably fine because I blow dry my hair daily. As she checked me (and thankfully found nothing), she said she tells everyone--teachers especially--to blow dry their hair daily this time of year. Even if you don't wash your hair, blow dry it anyway. The heat will kill them.
 
Maybe you already knew that (I knew heat killed them, but didn't realize the blow dryer was such an effective weapon)...but hey, if I can spare someone the scalp tingling anxiousness I have experienced the last two weeks...then I will!
 
Moving on...because my head is starting to itch (again).
I am in charge of our Dr. Seuss celebration this year. We're dressing up all next week and finishing with some fun rotations on Friday. We have 64 kids K-2 and will divide them up to visit 5 stations. I *think* I'm going to use the book Bartholomew and the Oobleck for my station on Friday. Dare I try to make oobleck with those excited little kiddos???
 
Check out this video of some kids making dancing oobleck - kind of creepy (the oobleck, I mean, not the kids - HA!):
 
 
 
Here's what we  came up with for dress-up days (a combination of a few ideas I found on the internet):
Monday – Red, White, and Blue Day (featured book: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish) – Wear red, white, and blue!
Tuesday – Crazy Sock Day (featured book: Fox in Socks) – Wear your craziest socks!
Wednesday – Wacky Wednesday (featured book: Wacky Wednesday) – Wear mismatched and inside-out clothes!
Thursday – Pajama Day (featured book: I am Not Going to Get Up Today) – Wear your pajamas!
Friday – Read a T-Shirt Day (featured book: I Can Read with My Eyes Shut) – Wear a t-shirt with a message!
 
Hope you're having a great week!
 

 
P.S. I'm lucky enough to get a classroom budget and the order deadline is approaching. Any "must-haves" I should be considering?

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun week, minus the thought of getting lice. We had it bad a few years ago and closed down school for a day. I was one of a handful of lucky adults who didn't get lice too. UGH.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.