Home Image Map

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What's the password?

 
 
Call it desperation if you want to...but this is what Kristi and I resorted to today.
 
Every morning we go over our "words of the week" or sight words from our Treasures reading series with an awesome power point that Kristi made (you can find them at our TPT store if you're interested). The kids get to whisper the words to their shoulder buddies after I read the clues and then the word starts "falling down" on to the slide.
 
The kids really seemed to have the words...
 
...until we read the story.
 
Yesterday, most of my students misread WHO as HOW.
Small group after small group...HOW, HOW, HOW!
 
Kristi was having the same problem in her room.
 
We had to do something.
 
Yes, a giant sign would do nicely!
 
I wore the sign all day. My kids had to whisper the word to me every time we went somewhere...and randomly in class, I would call on someone and say, "What's the password?"
 
I felt a little strange walking the halls with my giant sign.
 
Other classes read the word.
 
Other teachers read the word.
 
I hoped my kids were reading the word.
 
At the end of the day, I got good news from one of our Title teachers who pulls some of my students for extra one-on-one reading instruction.
 
"My girls knew that word today!"
 
Now...
 
 
...the question remains...
 
 
...will they know it tomorrow?
 
 
Have a great evening!
 
Crystal
 
P.S. We are wearing OF and SOME tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. The things we teachers will do! :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Some may call us a bit crazy. :-)

      Crystal

      Delete
    2. Borrow away! The kids love it and actually ask for a password if I forget to get one ready. :-)

      Crystal

      Delete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.