Home Image Map

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Word Work

We are so excited about the Daily Five that we just started in our classrooms this year.  So far, it is going great!  We have introduced the read to self and work on writing.  Next week, we plan to launch word work and read to someone.  We were curious about the word work and wondered what others were doing as activities for this part.  Would love to hear about the things you are having your kiddos do during this part of the Daily Five.

Hope all of you are starting your year off great!  Kristi

3 comments:

  1. Hi, neighbors:)
    Just like you, I have only begun with D5, and will start Read to Someone next week. I was thinking of holding off on Word Work until we're a little closer to full implementation, because (like you) I'm not really sure what I'm going to use!
    I did purchase Babbling Abby's Word Work centers this summer with the intention of using them for D5 Word Work...I probably should look at those again:) I think my plan right now is to use word families and word wall words as well as Fry phrases. Those can all be done with letter tiles and play dough to spell the words/make words. I'm not a worksheet girl, but if you like the accountability (and the grading), I guess they could write the words after they make them. Sorry to be long-winded...Have a SUPER relaxing weekend!!
    SynonymRolls&AntonymMoments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great ideas! I think I might pull out the play dough as well. Hope you enjoy your weekend as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't decided if we are going to start Word Work yet. I think I might hold off for another week since this week is a 4 day week. I'm planning on having students start with just using our spelling words and weekly HFW to do activities. I saw somewhere an idea for Must Do, Can Do where students have to do a specific activity first and then they can do what they choose. Good luck- can't wait to hear how it goes!

    Erin
    First with Franklin

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.