After painting the shelves and covering the counters with contact paper, I decided to tackle the window coverings in my classroom. The curtains in there now are faded and yucky looking, so I decided that I would make some new ones.
Normally, this is the time when I call my mother and ask her to make them for me.
But for some crazy reason I decided to try sewing again.
I say "again" because I did learn to sew once...about 9 years ago. I made this:
Yes, my first sewing project was a king-sized quilt for my bed. I don't do anything halfway, you see.
As it turned out, tackling such a big first project kind of ruined the whole sewing experience for me. I don't like unfinished projects. I work until I'm done.
Kind of like the painting of the shelves in my classroom...I spent 12 hours on them one day, and it nearly drove me crazy that I had to go back again the next day to finish up. By the time I finished, I never wanted to pick up a paint brush again.
Okay, back to the quilt... I worked on that thing for days and days. If I couldn't work on it, I thought about it. I dreamed about that stupid quilt. It consumed my life for a couple of weeks at least. It was the never ending project (in my mind) and when it was finally finished, I never wanted to sew again!
Until now...well, I mean...last week when I had this crazy idea to make my own curtains.
First up, fabric.
Too expensive. Flat sheets will do nicely.
Next, my mom loaned me her old sewing machine.
Then I stared at it for four days trying to build up the courage and stamina to start...
Finally, I decided to try and thread the machine. I don't know if that is even the right term. Threading the needle part was easy. But I tried for a good two hours to get that top thread to grab the bobbin thread (or whatever you are supposed to call it).
I called my mom. She admits this is the hardest part with this particular machine and does her best to help me over the phone. You should have heard that conversation as I used terms like...bobbin holder thingy, bobbin ear thingy, slit versus opening in the bobbin holder thingy, etc.
She offers to drive to my house (30 minutes).
I refuse. I can do this. I will do this.
I hang up the phone and try again. Finally, success!
I test it on some scraps...perfect. I decide that is enough sewing for one day and just cut the sheets to size instead.
The next day, I start sewing the curtains. I get two done (those finished edges on the sheets really help move things along)!
I start on the third one (I only need 5 1/2)...
A jam...that ends up making me lose the bobbin thread...
I try once...twice...three times.
I give up and decide to blog about it instead.
P.S. If you can sew, I admire you.