Home Image Map

Monday, January 11, 2016

Contraction Surgery

Every year when we teach contractions, we do it with contraction surgery.  I had first seen this many years ago before I started blogging and I believe it was actually before Pinterest.  This year we added more to our contraction surgery.  

In the past, we had the kids use a glove and cut out the part that needed cut out (example:  do not-cut out the o) and they would use a band aide as the apostrophe.  This year, we used gloves, band aides and added face masks.  To make it even more exciting for the kids, my co-teacher and I wore scrubs to work that day  (I will have to admit, those scrubs are comfy!) and had the kids address us as Nurse Torrey instead of Mrs. Torrey.  When they saw me wearing scrubs first thing in the morning, they were all very curious as to what was going on that day.  The kids had a great time with it and were extra excited when they got to take home the gloves and face masks. 



The best part about it all was that after school one of the first graders told another teacher all about contractions and how we did surgery.  So, the lesson stuck with them!  YAY!

Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.