Home Image Map

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Plural Nouns, Ordering Numbers, Venn Diagrams and What the Pledge of Allegiance Means to Me

How's that for a random title? As you can tell this post will be all over the place, but hopefully you'll come away with a couple of ideas you can use!

First up...the plural nouns. We worked on the rules for adding -es and -ies this week for our spelling and grammar skills. Take a look at a quick, fun activity we did. 


I love taking resources from our reading series and turning into something a bit more fun. For this, kiddos cut out word cards (of singular nouns) that were included in their workbook and worked with a buddy to write the plurals under the correct heading. I also love teaching my kiddos this "cheer."

In math, one of our lessons was on ordering two-digit numbers. Here's what I came up with to make it a little more fun. Students worked in teams to put several numbers in order from least to greatest.


Then because my class is so awesome, I let them all work together and combine all their cards to make one big line of numbers from least to greatest. It stretched across the room which they were pretty excited about!


We also worked on Venn Diagrams this week. After doing one as the math curriculum said, I paired up students to do one with a partner. They were to compare and contrast themselves. To explain how it would work, I had them help me do this one comparing me to the principal. 


They had a lot of fun with this...believe me! :-)

And finally, my daughter placed 2nd in a local essay contest. She had the opportunity (or torture--ha!) to read her essay in front of a huge crowd at a Celebration of Freedom program. The essay topic was "What the Pledge of Allegiance Means to Me." Take a look:


I had to giggle a bit. She was trying so hard not to talk fast that sometimes it was painfully slow!

Have a great weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.