Home Image Map

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Wisdom for Wednesday - More Christlike (and whining about a snow day)

Snow days! Twice in the last two weeks! What is going on around here? Ha!

Seriously though. I'm home today (Tuesday) because of cold weather. Last week, we were off on Thursday due to icy road conditions. About that...

You all will laugh, but I have gotten to the point where I don't even "hope" for snow days. I had exchanged a few texts with Kristi and some of other teacher friends the night before and kept telling them (and myself) that it wasn't going to happen. So when my phone rang last Thursday morning, my first reaction was to wonder who in the world was calling me so early in the morning!

Today was different. We knew yesterday afternoon, and I was bummed. Normally, I would be extremely happy about this extra day at home (and one where we knew ahead of time!), but this has put a few wrinkles in the schedule of our league basketball tournament (remember I'm the assistant coach) that I'm not crazy about. 

Oh well...couldn't be helped, I guess. I'll just be thankful for this day to get this post ready, rest up, and start on my assignment that is due Friday. I'm a little annoyed by that considering my Spring classes don't even officially open up until tomorrow! Last semester, I usually had a week or two to get assignments done. This might be a tough semester for me...(insert worried emoji here).

Okay, enough whining and on to the reason you're here (hopefully :-)).



This week's quote is part of a larger quote from The Crucified Life by A.W. Tozer. Check it out:

“If we understand that everything happening to us is to make us more Christlike, it will solve a great deal of anxiety in our lives.” 

Everything? Really?

Yes, really. I'm reminding myself too. Remember, I was the one just complaining about an inconvenient snow day!

When we stop and consider our eternal purpose, we are able to keep our circumstances in perspective. I know I'm guilty of sometimes focusing on the stuff, the circumstances. And of course, when I focus on those earthly things, it causes anxiety and worry. 

Instead I have to remember to look at everything--the good, the bad, the ugly--with an eternal perspective. It's not easy, and it certainly isn't my natural reaction to my circumstances. 

Here's a couple of my favorite verses to remind me:

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Colossians 3:1-2

Have a happy day! And if you haven't had one yet, may a snow day be in your future. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.