Home Image Map

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Wisdom for Wednesday - Improving

Hey there!


I just spent three days at the Kansas Coaches School. I can't believe in my years of coaching, I have never been before. WOW! My head is swimming with volleyball and basketball drills that I can't wait to try. :-)

Anyway, while I was there, this popped up in my Twitter Feed (stay with me...I do have a point beyond sports):

 

The reason this stood out to me was not because of my volleyball or basketball players (although I wholeheartedly agree with the quote). It was because of the coaches I observed. GASP!

Here we are at a coaches school with some of the most successful high school coaches in Kansas, along with a few college coaches, there to share information with us and...

I overheard things like:
"We already do something like that."
"I'm skipping this and going ________."
"She wasted so much time talking about her program."
Blah, blah, blah...

I wanted to insert "coaches" into the above quote.

Then it struck me that we could insert "teachers" too.

Think about it.

We sit in staff development meetings where new strategies and ideas are presented. Are we willing to leave there and give it a try? Or do we make excuses about how our current teaching is already "like that?" Do we think we have it "made?"

The truth is the quote applies to any aspect of life really.

We all have room to improve. 
We all need to be teachable.

I think perhaps the problem is that to be teachable, we have to be humble...

Thoughts?


1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking this year a lot about the questions I need to keep asking myself. Why? What if? What's best for kids? What's best for THIS kid?

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.