Home Image Map

Monday, April 21, 2014

Math Review Eggs

Can I make a confession?

I like structure.

And I like routine.

That is why I’m always waiting until the last minute to throw in “fun” activities.

Now, don’t get me wrong. We do have fun in my class, but you could call it “structured fun.”

Can I get an amen?

So this may be a little late for you to use this year, but maybe it will spur your creativity for similar activities or you could pin this idea for next year.

Thursday morning, I woke up and decided I should probably do something with those plastic eggs in my closet so that my kids felt like they weren’t really working on a “party day.”

You know what I mean, right?

It seems that the kiddos think because we are having a party in the afternoon, we should be partying all day. This of course, goes against my desire for structure and routine.

Anyway, back to my brainstorm.

I decided to make a mixed math review with the eggs. Using a sharpie I wrote a problem on one side of the egg, and then wrote the answer on the other side. I included all kinds of things such as:

726 = 700 + 20 + 6

516 + 293 = 809

724 – 381 = 343

quarter till 7 – 6:45

quarter after 6 – 6:15

QQDDDP – $0.81

I even did fractions…you get the idea.

Here’s what they looked like:

 


My kids are seated in color groups (red, blue, green, and yellow) so I was able to quickly send a group to the gym with my wonderful para to match up the eggs. She timed them, checked their answers, and then sent them back to my room. I kept the other three groups and we had my kind of fun (Mountain Math and Mountain Language). And yes, I gave my para a choice of which she wanted to do! When one group came back, I’d send another group.

The team that did it the fastest got a piece of bubble gum as a reward, and I was the most fun teacher ever! Ha!

I’m sorry that I don’t have pictures of the actual sorting activity. I forgot to send the camera. But I’m told the kids did great, practiced math, AND had to work together to quickly match up the eggs.

Have a great week! :-) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.