Home Image Map

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Bit of Randomness and an /aw/ Sound FREEBIE!

Okay...I'm feeling it.
 
The end of the year is looming ahead (truly--my last day is May 16th)!!!
 
My time with this particular group of kiddos is quickly coming to an end.
 
What am I feeling exactly?
 
PANIC!
 
Does anyone else feel a bit of panic at the end of the year? Please tell me I'm not alone.
 
Thoughts like...
 
"So-And-So was making so much progress, but now they seem to have gone backwards."
 
"So-And-So is not quite where I thought they would be..."
 
"Why haven't I been able to motivate So-And-So?"
 
"What  should I cram into your little brains this last month of school?"
 
"What do you mean you don't know how to do expanded notation? We've been doing it ALL year!"
 
"Really? You think that letter is perfect and yet there is not one capital or end mark on the page?"
 
"The word is were. How can you not know the word is were?!?!"
 
"The word is away. How can you not know the word is away?!?!"
 
Now, remember I said thoughts! I would never say such things. I think this year my worries may be worse because it is my first time teaching 2nd grade...and I'm hoping I've done everything I can do to prepare these kiddos for 3rd grade.
 
Add to the panic the fact that my spring program is on May 5th! We are performing Squirm! It looked like an adorable little musical and it sounded like so much fun.
 
 
 
See? A Wiggly, Giggly, Squiggly Musical! Sounds fun, right?
 
Well, now that we are in the final weeks of preparation, the kids are having fun and I'm not! I'm just hoping they can pull it off despite me. As I said to my coworkers this week, I feel very unorganized with my music classes. Not that I needed to tell them...I sprung a schedule change on them today so that I could practice with all my worms, bats, spiders, and snakes at the same time.
 
Anyway, last week we were working on the /aw/ sound spelled al, augh, aw, and au. Kristi and I have a Connect Four in our TPT shop for the aw and au, but I needed something a little bit more challenging for my second graders. I whipped up this game and decided to share it with you. Best of all, it's free!
 
 
 
Now...as I searched for that picture of Squirm! I noticed lots of youtube videos of the musical, so I'm off to get ideas.
 
Hmmm...
 
Why didn't I think of that before???


2 comments:

  1. May 16th?! Wow. I'm not out until the first week of June. Enjoy your last few weeks!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It is crazy! A few years ago, when the schools around here were in a financial crunch my district voted to either do a condensed calendar (with longer days) or a four day week. The condensed calendar won and I am so thankful! We start at the end of August and finish mid-May.

      Crystal

      Delete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.