Home Image Map

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Laptops, oh my!

So...apparently using a laptop is quite different than using a desktop computer. This is something I really had not considered until Monday morning when we kicked off "Listen to Reading."


I had the laptop cart ready and handed them out with a smile first thing in the morning (8:15). The kids took them back to their desks and then I had to give an "impromptu" lesson on how to push CTRL-ALT-DEL. I hadn't planned on that, but we made it through.
 
Then I told the kids to click on the Programs folder (this is a folder created on our server that students are familiar with from computer lab). Immediately, I had hands going up. I thought, "What in the world? I know they use the Programs folder in computer." Turns out...double clicking with a laptop is different than a desktop.
 
As is moving the pointer...it does not require your whole hand, by the way, in case you were wondering. And yes, Kristi and I both had students trying to use their whole hand.
 
8:45
 
By this time I'm thinking: NOT FUN and the  smile is barely hanging on. 
 
So I finally get everyone into their programs folder so they can click on ConnectED...that is a double click...again. Sigh!
 
8:55
 
We are on the home screen for my class to login to ConnectED. Each student needs to click on their name and enter a user friendly password.
 
9:05
 
To get to the "login" button, you must SCROLL DOWN. Seriously? Yes, I had to give a lesson on how to scroll down.
 
9:10 (and losing my smile - totally not the kids fault - they actually waited so patiently for this)
 
Passwords denied. Why? About half of the students had not clicked on THEIR OWN NAME!
 
9:15 (and taking deep breaths)
 
We are in to our To-Do list and finally listening to the story.
 
9:25 (and ready to pull my hair out)
 
I have just enough time to show them how to get into the phonics activities...which require a CLICK and DRAG.
 
I give up!!!!!!!!!
 
And besides, I am out of time with the laptops and happily deliver them to Kristi (who I strongly advise to get started if she wants to accomplish anything with them before recess at 10:35).
 
Now, thankfully kids are such quick learners when it comes to technology. Today we were up and going quickly AND they had extra time to do some of the activities that go with the story.
 
They are going to love having this as a Daily 5 choice. We are having them listen to our main selection and then they will be able to do the activities that go along with it (if they have time).
 
Lesson learned with laptops - plan to teach laptop basics before accomplishing anything on the plans. :-)
 
Have a great week!

Crystal

1 comment:

  1. These things happen sometimes. In the joy of getting started on something new, we forget to anticipate all the things that could go wrong. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.