Home Image Map

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Psst...Coming Soon...and Schedule Spotlight Series - Writing!

Okay...okay...enough with the suspense. Here's the big secret I've been keeping.
 
 
Did you see that? Second Grade bloggers... As most of you know, our blog has become a 1st and 2nd grade blog with Kristi still teaching 1st and me moving to 2nd.
 
Still feels weird not to be a firstie! 
 
You are not going to want to miss this freebie hop! There are so many great bloggers teaming up for this, I know the FREEBIES will be amazing! While we are targeting second grade, there will be some freebies that would work for multiple grades. The hop will start on Saturday so check back here for directions on how to get started.
 
And if you are a FIRST GRADE teacher, don't worry. Kristi and I are planning something just for you, too!
 
Now on to...
 
When you're done reading, click the picture to go check out all the other great writing ideas!
 
Writing!
 
I have been waiting for this one! I have done my writing differently every year I've taught (3 years) and am already planning changes for next year.
 
Let me give you a quick history (in first grade)...
 
Year One - Taught writing using the basal (Treasures) and was not at all happy with the lack of growth in my kiddos.
 
Year Two - Writer's Workshop! Loved this...mini-lesson followed by 30 minute block of writing time.
 
Year Three - Insert Daily 5. Not enough time for seperate Writer's Workshop so it became their "Work on Writing" time and I required students to do it daily. I did my mini-lessons in the afternoon with no immediate practice time for the kiddos. Did not like this!
 
Next year...regardless of grade, I would have went back to a seperate Writer's Workshop time.
 
Here's what I'm thinking my schedule will look like next year in 2nd grade:
 
8:30-10:00  Reading Block - Daily 5
10:00-10:30  Recess
10:30-11:40  Math
11:40-12:10  Lunch
12:10-12:40  Writer's Workshop
12:40-1:00  Science/Social Studies Extension
1:00-1:30  MTSS (or RTI if you are not in Kansas)
1:30-2:30  Specials
2:30-3:00  Snack/Read Aloud/Pack Up
 
Obviously, it is not finalized yet... The one thing I know is that I will definitely have a seperate Writer's Workshop and "Work on Writing" in Daily 5 will be more 'fun' types of writing...choosing to make a card, write a letter, etc. By making my main writing seperate from Daily 5, I won't have to require students to do "Work on Writing" daily so I will be able to rotate kids through more of the Daily 5 activities. I will also be giving the kiddos time to practice immediately after the mini-lesson which is what I thought was so successful my second year teaching.
 
As for resources, I have been using Mrs. Meacham's mini-lessons and writing workshop ideas. I'm in the process of begging my district to buy this for me:
 
 
Well, I think that covers it. If you're still with me, I'd love to hear from you. How do you teach writing in your classroom?
 
Do you have Lucy Calkins' Units of Study? If so, what do you think of it?
 
Have a blessed day!
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I love Lucy. I still have her older set of units. I hope your begging works for you! I do a separate writing workshop from the work on writing that they do in Daily 5. I never liked the idea of merging the two. I felt like they needed a daily, sustained lengthy amount of time to simply concentrate on writing.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they haven't said no yet! I'm taking that as a good sign. :-)

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our district has the Lucy Writing curriculum as its adoption. I got to go to Teacher's College this summer and I really want to reading curriculum.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie! Thanks for stopping by. It is good to hear you like it!

      Crystal

      Delete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.