Home Image Map

Monday, July 16, 2012

Sprucing Up Boards and Blinds - Monday Made-It!

This Monday Made-It is all about sprucing up my classroom. First, the bulletin boards! Last year they painted all of our hallway bulletin boards black. I love it! Most of the time I don't even add background paper, just a border, the artwork and it looks awesome.

So as I sat in my room last week, dreaming of all the bulletin boards I can't put up (because the laminator is broken), I thought why not paint these bulletin boards black too... My Daily 5 bulletin board set and the Writing Center I bought from Mrs. Cupcake would look great with a black background, so I talked my hubby into helping. I am a messy painter and I had visions of paint all over the wall and floor and me getting into serious trouble! He did a wonderful job. I LOVE IT!!!!

Before - Front of the room.
Before - Back of the room.

After - Front of the room.
After - Back of the room.


While hubby worked on that, I tackled another eyesore in my room - the blinds. These roller blinds are HUGE and UGLY. I'm sure at one time they looked great, but now they are stained and dingy. In this picture they are closed for the summer, but I usually leave them half open to let in the natural light. Please excuse the mess!

Before - Blinds behind my desk area.

After - Aren't they lovely?

A little bit of fabric and black duct tape does wonders!

I LOVE THESE!

Okay, if you are in a similar situation, here is how I did it. My blinds were 4 ft. wide and I knew I kept them pulled down with about 3 ft. of the shade exposed. I went to Wal-Mart and found fabric. My first pick went along with my sports theme, but it was nearly $6 a yard (or $32 for my project). Um, NO! So I settled for this fabric on the clearance rack for $2 a yard. The fabric was 44" wide, leaving me with 2" exposed on each side of the blind...enter duct tape border. It is all the rage anyway, right? I used spray adhesive to attach the fabric and then added the duct tape...couldn't be happier with it! :-)



And of course, the kids had to be busy too! Here is their project - my math cubby shelf.


Before - Math Cubbies (found those baskets the other day $1 for 2 just the other day and was testing them out)

After - Black to match other things in my room.


Don't forget to link up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics to share your Monday Made-It!



Have a blessed day!

Crystal

18 comments:

  1. Love the makeover!!! Can't wait to do it myself!!!
    Blessings,
    Jessica
    ✏ Mrs. Stanford's Class ✏

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blinds! My board outside my room is painted and I have been contemplating painting my inside boards. I am going to take the plunge! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is painted black, Kristi said that she didn't know why it took us so long to realize that we could do the same inside the classroom. LOL

      Delete
  3. The black is nice. Who knew you could paint bulletin boards?
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know-our outside bb have been painted black all this year. Just decided to do the ones inside the classroom.

      Delete
  4. I love how your blinds turned out. Now I want some!

    Hooty's Homeroom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blinds! So awesome.
    ~April
    The Idea Backpack
    ideabackpack@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost wish I had blinds like yours now! We have the slatted ones.. yuck. Love how you enlisted your whole family to help! That's fantastic! :)

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the job that you did with your blinds. The fabric is fabulous!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those blinds look great.
    What a great family you have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE what you did with the blinds! GREAT thinking:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see your completed boards!! Thanks for the shout-out! :)
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bulletin boards turned out awesome and those blinds....amazing!!!! Thanks for sharing. Wish I could paint like that in my classroom:) Thanks for linking up:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those blinds - and what a great idea to make bulletin boards black! I wish I could do that in my room...Your room looks awesome!

    Kara
    Spedventures

    ReplyDelete

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.