Home Image Map

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Wisdom for Wednesday - No Half Jobs

Good morning! I hope you are having a great week. Mine seems to be going very fast...that may be due to the fact that I will be at a training all day tomorrow and we have a staff development day on Friday. It just feels all wrong--Ha!
Sometimes short weeks feel longer to me...anyone else?


Anyway, in our P.O.P. group we share a verse of the week along with the names of the 6-8 staff members we are praying for. 

Years ago, this week's verse became inspiration for one of my core beliefs and I was surprised I hadn't shared it with you all in a Wisdom post. I did hint at it once, but never really featured it, so...

And whatsoever ye do,
do it heartily,
as to the Lord,
and not unto men.
Colossians 3:23


I can't say for sure exactly when this became my mantra, but I know it was when I was a stay-at-home mom with two little kiddos underfoot. Now those two little kiddos are a senior and junior in high school! Yikes!

There were days when I just didn't accomplish much. I had things I wanted to do and would often neglect the simple things that needed done around the house. Dusting? No thank you. And the laundry? Well, I would do it and then put the clean clothes on the couch to be folded later. Dishes? Well, I can't stand a dirty dish in the sink, but the clean ones would often sit in the dishwasher for some time before I got to them.

One day as I was studying, the Lord showed me Colossians 3:17 and 23. He convicted me about my "housekeeping" habits and gave me a new perspective. I wasn't keeping house for my kids or even my husband. I was keeping house for Him!
And I was doing a half-job... :-(

It was then that "No Half Jobs!" became my mantra--and not just in housekeeping, but in everything I do. As a wife and a mom. As I went back to work, then school, and now as a teacher this has become one of my core beliefs. I don't do it for me. I don't do it for others. I do it all for the Lord and He deserves more than a half-job! 

My husband and kids have heard it over and over. You could say it is one of our family mottos now. We don't do half-jobs. And when someone is slipping, well, you can be sure that someone else is going to call them out on it (and yes, sometimes the one slipping is me). We're not perfect, but "No Half Jobs!" reminds us to think about why we do what we do and Who we are doing it for.

What do you think? Any half-jobs in your life right now? 

Believe me, I still have to evaluate areas of my life on a constant basis and ask if I'm giving my all. When I'm not, I remind myself that I'm doing it for the Lord and He deserves more than a half-job!

Have a blessed week!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.