Home Image Map

Friday, February 20, 2015

Read All Day? What? Yes, Please!!!


This is what my classroom looked like yesterday:



Here's what was going on inside those lovely forts:




Reading, reading, and more reading!

We are working toward a goal of 100,000 Book Adventure points. Book Adventure is a free website that has teacher-created comprehension tests for students to take and earn points. It is similar to AR…not near as user friendly…but hey, it's free!

I don't give individual goals. We just work as a class toward a float party at the end of the year. I set the goal of 100,000 thinking it would be no problem since I started at the beginning of the year. 

I was getting a little nervous and the reward seemed so far away for them, so I decided to have a little celebration for making it halfway. 

We wore pajamas, built forts, and read all day (except for recess, lunch, and specials). My para and I were right there with them reading* and taking tests for our class. I also bought them all a book from Scholastic and gave them a free pizza certificate. 

*We both read Esio Trot by Roald Dahl and were disappointed…seemed to promote lying and trickery with no consequences. It was in my pile for kids to pick their free book from, but after reading it I pulled it out. Anyone else have thoughts about it? I don't think I've read that author before...

One student said, "This is the best day of my life!" 
Hee hee! I just love to hear that about a day of reading. :-)

And I'm happy to report that after our day of reading, we are up to 58,000 points! My class usually earns about 5,000 points a week.


And since I have so many K-State fans in my class, I just had to sport my KU pajamas!

No comment on how many times my husband had to take this picture before I thought it was acceptable for public viewing. Ha!
 Have a great weekend!


5 comments:

Displaying pin-it-fix-1.txt.